Houston Auto Maintenance Company offers Winter Weather Tips
Houston Auto Maintenance company offers winter weather driving tips for all of you on the road this season. With the holidays fast approaching, it's time to start planning and preparing for your long journey on the road. Visiting family and driving cross country to celebrate with loved ones is one of the highlights of the season. At HCS Automotive, it is our goal to ensure your family's safety while on the road.
Keep these 5 important tips in mind when driving this holiday season in Houston:
1) Make sure your car is running properly by checking the lights, tire pressures,condition of your battery, anti-freeze fluid, oil, belts and hoses, and brake fluids. These can all be checked by your mechanic.
2) You are the only person you can trust on the road, so drive defensively. Don't get involved with aggressive drivers who do not take safety into consideration. Studies have shown that aggressive driving is at a peak during the holidays. Due to holiday shopping, general seasonal stress, and influx of out- of- towners, there is increased congestion on the roads and freeways. Stay away from aggressive drivers by calmly moving out of their way. Do not add to the aggression with hand gestures or screaming obscenities.
3) Always be prepared for emergencies. You never know what may be encountered on the dark and cold road. Your emergency kit should include: blankets, boots, and gloves in your trunk. It would also be wise to keep a bag of kitty litter or sand to help with traction on those icy patches. Also, don't forget to keep your gas tank around the half full line in order to avoid fuel line freezing.
4) This may be obvious, but make sure you get a full night's rest before heading out on the road. Once you have been driving for a couple hours, take a break for a few minutes or switch drivers, so that you don't get overly tired. It would be a good idea to get out of the car and stretch your legs and maybe grab a snack.
5) Keep a good distance between the car ahead of you. There is a general rule of keeping a 3 second gap between your car and the car in front of you. In rainy, foggy, or snowy weather, it's best to keep twice that amount regardless of the speed limit.
Get to HCS Automotive before heading out of town for a quick check of your vehicle. Give us a call at (713) 789-4556 or come on down to 3602 Dunvale Rd. Houston, TX 77063.
Remember these winter weather driving tips this holiday season– it's better to be safe than sorry.